God's Coins

Proper 24A / Matthew 22:15-22


Who do you want to be in this story of Jesus and the Pharisees?  It’s a common approach to studying Scripture in community – to identify oneself in the narrative and listen for how the text speaks to you.  So, this week, I spent some time doing just that and I came to a quick conclusion – I want to be Jesus!  I want to be the person with the quick answer when someone tries to corner me or when someone says something that is mildly insulting.  The truth of the matter is, however, that I am more often the one who wakes up in the middle of the night and thinks, “That’s what I should have said!”  And wonders, “Why am I always so slow on my feet?”  So, for this – and a whole host of other reasons – I am certainly not Jesus in this story and, truth-be-told, from conversations I’ve had with many of you, neither are you.  Sorry. That’s just truth.
O.k., then that leaves the Pharisees.  The one’s who try to set Jesus up, to trap him so that they can turn him over the authorities.  But, of course, they butter him up first.  “Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and teach the way of God in accordance with truth, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality.”[1] When I used to supervise a large staff at Boston University, I took a management class and learned about the feedback sandwich --- the bread is the nice stuff and the meat in the middle is the criticism.  “I love the way you show up to work on time every day.  I need you to pay more attention to detail because I’ve been noticing a lot of errors in your work.  And you are a great team player!”  Apparently, starting with the positive puts the listener at ease and makes them more open to hearing the negative.  I practiced this technique so much at that job - and have subsequently received my own share of supervisory sandwiches – that I am now conditioned to listen for it.  “Debra, I really appreciated your contribution at the meeting last night.”  And then I wait for it. I wait for the “however” to follow. Even if it is never spoken, I sometimes hear it as a critical voice in my head.  Maybe some of you can relate. And this is how the Pharisees begin – Jesus you are a great teacher, your sincerity is beyond reproach; however, we’re wondering if you could tell us, “Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor?”[2] 
That question is the set-up. That is the meat in the feedback sandwich.  Only in this context, Jesus himself is going to provide the self-critique – or so the Pharisees assume. Because, the Pharisees think that no matter how Jesus answers the question they have caught him.  If Jesus says, “yes, it is lawful to pay the tribute to the emperor,” then the Pharisees will have caught him setting aside the rule of God and can try him as a heretic.  If, on the other hand, Jesus says, “no, we should not pay the tribute,” then the Herodians who have come with the Pharisees can charge him with sedition and place him under arrest. But Jesus’ answer confounds them all.  There is neither sedition nor heresy in his response and that is its very genius.
Showing them a coin, Jesus asks the Pharisees, “Whose head is this, and whose title?”[3] And this is one of the reasons I love this story so much – we can easily relate.  There is no lost pearl, no Samaritan, no mustard seed.  There is a coin and if we take a look at the coins in our own pocket or purse and we will see the head of Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Washington, or, if you have the rare 50 cent piece, the likeness of Kennedy.[4]  So Jesus’ question – “whose head is this, and whose title?” - makes sense to us.  Then Jesus says, “Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”[5]  This answer is frequently understood through the lens of our contemporary concept of the separation of church and state. But I don’t think that’s right. Jesus’s is more complex than that.
The coin has the image of the emperor and, as such, it belongs to the emperor.  And the things that belong to God should be given to God.  But the unspoken question implicit in Jesus’ response is “What is it that bears the image of God and as such belongs rightly to God?” And the unspoken answer – but one that would be known to the Pharisees – is that our own flesh and blood belong to God.  And so this is Jesus’ gotcha’ moment – the moment that makes me wish I were Jesus in the story – quick on my feet and always wise.
Returning now to my initial question, “Who do you want to be in this story of Jesus and the Pharisees?” Jesus? The Pharisees?  I propose another option.  There is another character in the story and that is the coin – not the coin that bears the likeness of the emperor; but instead the coin that bears the image of God.    And you and I are that coin.  We are the ones who bear the mark of the image of God. We are the Body of Christ and God claims each of us as God’s own – we are, to use an image from our Old Testament, we are God’s “treasured possession.”[6]  And this is the gift that God gives to us, a gift each of us can use as we see fit.  We can use it to be like Jesus – quick on our feet and ready with wise answers.  We can use it to be like the Pharisees – ready to catch others off guard, hoping to make ourselves look better in the eyes of others or hoping to entrap those around us.  We use God’s gift imperfectly; we are both Jesus and the Pharisees.  And we are so much more. We are God’s beloved “sealed by the Holy Spirit in Baptism and marked as Christ’s own for ever,” now bearing the indelible stamp of God’s love and grace on our very selves.[7]



[1] Matthew 22:16b
[2] Matthew 22:17b
[3] Matthew 22:19-20
[4] Matthew 22:21.
[5] Matthew 22:21b
[6] cf. Exodus 19:5, Deuteronomy 7:6, 14:2
[7] The Book of Common Prayer 1979, p. 308.

Comments